Soneva Fushi Information
Soneva, formerly Soneva Resorts and Residences, is a resort chain founded by Sonu Shivdasani and his wife, Eva Malmström Shivdasani in 1995. The company currently owns and manages Soneva Fushi. Located in the Baa Atoll, Soneva Jani, located in the Noonu Atoll, both in the Maldives and Soneva Kiri in Koh Kood, Thailand. It also owns and manages a two bedroom luxury yacht, Soneva in Aqua.
Also the island has four snorkelling access points. Probably with manta rays and turtles regularly sighted on the house reef, entire days can easily be filled drifting gently above the marine spectacle. In addition, the hotel has masks and fins for guests, and a resident marine biologist who can organise private snorkelling trips and night swims to see octopus, sleeping parrot fish, lobster and bioluminescent plankton. Hence there’s also a diving school for beginners and confirmed PADI divers alike.
Soneva Fushi goods:
- Located on a private island with white-sand beaches and an on-site reef
- Superb snorkeling and diving in Baa Atoll, a UNESCO World Biosphere Reserve
- Excursions available to Hanifaru Bay (a manta ray and whale shark hot spot)
- Charming Robinson Crusoe-style villas with private beach access and 24-hour butler service
- Huge villas start at 2,530 square feet and most have private pools
- Free, all-you-can-eat artisanal chocolates, ice creams, cheeses, and charcuterie
- Three excellent a la carte restaurants and two bars
- Free gourmet breakfast buffet (half- and full-board packages available)
- Spa and modern fitness center
- Free weekly yoga classes (daily paid classes available) and free loaner bicycles
- Free non-motorized water sports rentals (including sailboats, kayaks, and snorkels)
- Dive center and motorized water sports (wakeboarding, waterskiing, and fun tubes)
- Observatory, wine cellar, gift shop, and outdoor movie theater
- Free kids’ club (ages four and up) and paid hourly babysitting services
- One of the most eco-friendly resorts in the Maldives
Finally, the only restaurants and bars on the island are the hotel’s own. Budding chefs can try their hands at Maldivian cooking classes using the hotel’s garden’s own produce.
Soneva Fushi is one of the top luxury resorts in the Maldives and the lush jungle interior and charming Robinson Crusoe-style decor make the private island feel like a camp for wealthy castaways. Highlights include personal butlers, 65 spacious beachfront villas (most with private pools). Top-notch food, an observatory, outdoor theater, and plenty of free perks. Rooms and food are among the priciest in the Maldives (for good reason), but guests should be prepared to bicycle barefoot through the wilderness and get a little dirty. It’s very comparable to Gili Lankanfushi in its vibe, level of luxury, and celebrity cachet, but lacks Gili’s communal swimming pool and overwater villas.